Steve Smith is the Executive Director of Oxford Net Zero and the UK research hub for greenhouse gas removal, CO2RE.
In this episode, Steve covers:
- His academic background and roles within the climate science sphere. [Starts at 1:30]
- The concept of net zero. [Starts at 7:15]
- Reducing emissions and carbon dioxide removal (CDR) in reaching net zero. [Starts at 9:45]
- Net zero in practice and offsetting. [Starts at 12:50]
- Generating and meeting net zero targets. [Starts at 15:35]
- An overview of Oxford Net Zero and CO2RE. [Starts at 18:30]
- How CDR fits within climate strategy. [Starts at 21:25]
- Defining CDR and options available. [Starts at 22:55]
- Scaling up novel CDR projects. [Starts at 26:40]
- What can be gained from the fossil fuel industry. [Starts at 30:30]
- Successes and failures within the UK climate ambition. [Starts at 32:30]
- The State of Carbon Dioxide Removal report. [Starts at 35:20]
- The three objectives of CO2RE. [Starts at 38:30]
- Covid legacy and community engagement. [Starts at 42:20]
- Thoughts about the future. [Starts at 45:50]
How to connect
Please rate and review this episode and why not share it with someone you think might enjoy it. To hear more stories from people positively impacting our environment, click subscribe/follow in your podcast app.
You may also like to listen to James Dyke on Earth Systems and Climate Change.