Nick Milestone is Engineering Director at Sigmat and Chairman of the Timber Research and Development Trade Association (TRADA).
In this episode, Nick covers:
- His early career and influence from his grandfather. [Starts at 1:58]
- Venturing into a timber/steel hybrid model. [Starts at 4:02]
- Environmental benefits of timber over concrete. [Starts at 5:20]
- Getting involved with TRADA, biophilia and his Singapore experience. [Starts at 6:48]
- UK building regulation changes, impacts and opportunities. [Starts at 8:24]
- Net zero buildings and development in the construction industry. [Starts at 10:05]
- The supermarkets as catalysts for low carbon buildings. [Starts at 14:10]
- Pressures from low-cost concrete and cheap labour. [Starts at 17:46]
- Sustainable timber and PEFC/FSC certification. [Starts at 18:33]
- Local supply issues and developing countries. [Starts at 22:27]
- Life cycle assessments and the circular economy. [Starts at 25:49]
- Timber use and building regulations around the world. [Starts at 28:08]
- Policy change, testing and insurance. [Starts at 32:10]
- His involvement in COP 26. [Starts at 33:34]
- Top recommendations: look at your personal carbon footprint – are there changes you can make to your home or lifestyle? [Starts at 35:50]
- What the world looks like in 2050 – more megacities. [Starts at 37.59]
SLB Mass Timber and Hybrid Structures Outlook and Opportunity Presentation
How to connect
Please rate and review this episode and why not share it with someone you think might enjoy it. To hear more stories of people doing fabulous things that positively impact our environment, click subscribe in your podcast app.
2 thoughts on “Timber in sustainable construction with Nick Milestone”
A very interesting and informative interview. Nick Milestone certainly understands and cares about the building industry and the sustainability of using timber in modern construction.
Thanks Irene for your comment – I am glad you found Nick’s conversation interesting and appreciated what he had to share.