Ann-Marie McMillan is the founder and manager of Derbyshire Toy Libraries.
In this episode, Ann-Marie discusses sustainable toys and covers:
- The circumstances that led her to set up a new toy library. [Starts at 2:15]
- The importance of funding, volunteers and training. [Starts at 4:46]
- The benefits of a patron. [Starts at 8:48]
- Developing outreach and expansion. [Starts at 11:40]
- Getting the right systems in place and optimising the utility of toys. [Starts at 14:04]
- Purposeful play packs and supporting families in need. [Starts at 18:07]
- Responding to the pandemic with a click and collect service. [Starts at 19:27]
- The ‘Young at Heart’ project for intergenerational play. [Starts at 24:20]
- Achieving recognition from the Queen and the International Toy Library Association. [Starts at 26:12]
- Green activities outside of the toy library. [28:50]
- Top eco recommendations: join a toy library; avoid faddy, cheap toys; don’t put too much pressure on yourself, see it as a journey. [31:50]
- What the world looks like in 2050 – learning through play will still be important. [33:39]
How to connect
Please rate and review this episode and why not share it with someone you think might enjoy it. To hear more stories from people positively impacting our environment, such as Mirella Ferraz on a library of things, click subscribe/follow in your podcast app.